Endometriosis Treatments in Manhattan
How Can You Treat the Symptoms of Endometriosis?
Acupuncture on the lower abdomen and legs, massage, and herbal therapy have all been linked with success in treating the symptoms of endometriosis including pain reduction and improved fertility outcomes. When acupuncture needles are applied and herbal medicine is taken, pain is frequently reduced and the ability to conceive is enhanced. The gold standard for the treatment of endometriosis is laparoscopic intervention coupled with the inclusion of acupuncture and herbs.
How Does Endometriosis Affect the Female Body?
The name endometriosis comes from the word "endometrium," the tissue that lines the inside of the uterus. If a woman is not pregnant, this tissue builds up and is shed each month as menstrual flow at the end of each cycle. In endometriosis, endometrial tissue is found outside the uterus.
Endometrial tissue residing outside the uterus responds to the menstrual cycle in a way that is similar to the way endometrium usually responds in the uterus. At the end of every cycle, when hormones cause the uterus to shed its endometrial lining, endometrial tissue growing outside the uterus will also bleed. This can cause symptoms ranging from pain during intercourse, painful menstruation, low back pain, nausea, fatigue, and infertility.
Tissues surrounding the affected areas of endometriosis become inflamed. This inflammation may produce scar tissue around the area of endometriosis. These endometrial tissue sites may develop into what are called lesions or growths.
- Endometriosis is often found:
- On the ovaries
- On the fallopian tubes
- The ligaments supporting the uterus
- In the internal area between the vagina and rectum
- On the outer surface of the uterus
- On the lining of the pelvic cavity
Infrequently, endometrial growths are found on the intestines or in the rectum, on the bladder, vagina cervix, and vulva (external genitals), or in abdominal surgery scars. Very rarely, endometrial growths have been found outside the abdomen, in the thigh, arm, or lung.
How Is Endometriosis Related to Infertility?
Endometriosis can cause infertility by three main mechanisms: the anatomical distortion of the pelvic organs which may interfere with normal fertilization of the egg by the sperm, ovarian function compromise as a result of adhesions or cysts (endometriomas) on the ovaries, and inflammatory processes which cause harm to the implanting embryo.
- At The Berkley Center for Reproductive Wellness, Mike Berkley has been treating patients with endometriosis for pain reduction and fertility improvement for twenty-years. Our treatment methods have proven to be extremely effective. Give us a call now at (646) 832-4480 to set up your consultation. We also work in conjunction with some of the best laparoscopic surgeons in New York City if surgery is needed to eradicate the endometriosis .