Mike’s Personal Story
I developed an interest in acupuncture and herbal medicine due to a very personal and difficult reason - infertility. My wife and I decided that we wanted to start a family soon after we got married. We tried and tried for two years before seeking the help of a reproductive endocrinologist. My wife was diagnosed with a bacterial infection and an autoimmune marker. At our follow-up examinations, we were “cleared” of all obstacles to conception and told to go home and “try.” We tried for another six months without success.
At this point, my wife sought out the help of an acupuncturist/herbalist who had some basic knowledge of reproductive issues. After treating with acupuncture and herbal medicine for six months my wife got nothing more than a regulated period. We were disappointed, then, the very next month, the miracle manifested! She was pregnant and she carried to term without a hitch. We had a beautiful 7.5-pound little tiger who is now a young man, healthy, happy and productive! I was amazed, humbled and enormously excited and gratified by the result which was yielded by what seemed like some hocus-pocus newfangled type of medicine, but it really worked.
It was then that I started to explore acupuncture and herbal medicine on my own. I had a curiosity to learn more. I couldn't believe it when I found out that this type of medicine had existed for 3,000 years and there are hundreds of medical texts dating back centuries on the subject of reproductive disorders and how to treat them.
I responded to an ad in the Village Voice for an open house at Pacific College of Oriental Medicine’s New York campus and left almost six years later with a degree in acupuncture and a National Board Certification in herbal medicine.
With license in hand, I devoted every free moment to studying Western medical and Chinese medical approaches to treating infertility. After years of study and clinical experience, I have been fortunate in that I have been able to develop my own unique acupuncture protocols and proprietary herbal formulas.
- The fact that I am able to help so many couples achieve their dream of starting a family is the focal point of my life. Every single patient that comes to The Berkley Center for Reproductive Wellness is a great gift to me. It's another opportunity to add joy to the world!
Experience, Appearances, & Memberships
- Television and radio appearances:
- 1997 - Dr. Robert Atkins Radio Show, WEVD, New York, NY
- 1997 - News All Day, NY1-TV, New York, NY
- 2002 - Today in New York, WNBC (NBC), New York, NY
- 2002 - Live With Regis & Kelly, WABC-TV (ABC), New York, NY
- 2002 - The Early Show, WCBS-TV (CBS), New York, NY
- 2004 - Interviewed on WHLV Talk Radio, Buffalo, NY
- 2006 - WBAI - Global Medicine Radio. Interviewed by Dr. Kamau Kokayi
- 2006 - Interviewed on the ROSHOW with Rolanda Watts
- 2007 - Karma Radio, Myths and Realities of Infertility
- 2007 - Conceive On Air, Talk Radio with Kim Hahn
- 2007 - Interviewed on WWOR-TV Channel 9 News by Tena Ezzeddine
- Professional society memberships:
- A Torah Infertility Medium Exchange (Medical Advisory Board)
- Acupuncture Society of New York
- American Association of Oriental Medicine
- American Board of Oriental Reproductive Medicine (ABORM) (Board of Directors)
- American Infertility Association
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM)
- American Society of Acupuncturists (Fellow)
- InterNational Council on Infertility Information Dissemination (INCIID) (Board Member)
- National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
- New York State Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (Westchester Chapter)
- Pacific College of Oriental Medicine (Advisory Board Member)
- Resolve, The National Infertility Association
- Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, "Concepts and Applications of Traditional Chinese Medicine" 1997
- Resolve, New York, "Infertility and Herbal Medicine" 1998
- Resolve, Brooklyn, "The Use of Acupuncture and Alternative Medicine in the Treatment of Infertility" 1998
- American Infertility Association, "Traditional Chinese Medicine in the Treatment of Primary Infertility" 1998
- American Infertility Association, "Acupuncture, Herbal Medicine and Infertility" 2001
- Resolve, New Jersey, Annual Family Building Symposium, “Infertility and Traditional Chinese Medicine” 2002
- Resolve, New Jersey, "Infertility, Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine" 2003
- A.T.I.M.E., “Acupuncture for Infertility, Does it Work?” 2004
- The Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, "Infertility, Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine" 2005
- The Jewish Community Center, NYC, “Acupuncture and IVF” 2005
- Pacific Symposium, “East meets West in Reproductive Medicine” 2005
- Resolve Brooklyn, "The Use of Acupuncture and Alternative Medicine in the Treatment of Infertility" 2006
Mike is currently writing a book on reproductive disorders and Chinese medicine, and hosts his groundbreaking seminars, Traditional Chinese Medicine and Western Reproductive Medicine in the Diagnosis & Treatment of Infertility, across the country. With the increase in the number of couples being diagnosed as “infertile,” Mike feels that it is even more important now to share his expertise and findings with acupuncturists, herbalists, gynecologists, and other healthcare professionals.