Studies in the literature have shown that:
- High sperm DNA fragmentation affects blastocyst development
- The higher the DNA fragmentation levels, the higher the chances of failed assisted conception treatment and miscarriage
- Sperm DNA fragmentation is higher in infertile men with abnormal sperm parameters
- Men with normal sperm parameters are also found to have high sperm DNA fragmentation
In mammalian germ cells we can encounter several types of DNA damage. Most damage originates in the male gamete. DNA fragmentation is characterized by both single (SSB) and double DNA strand breaks (DSBs), and it is particularly frequent in the ejaculates of infertile males. Sperm DNA fragmentation can be induced by oxidative stress and free radicals .
The pathway to pregnancy within the context of sperm DNA fragmentation looks like this:
1. DNA fragmentation of 0-15% equals a good fertility outcome.
2 .DNA fragmentation of 15-29% equals good to fair outcomes.
3..DNA fragmentation greater than 30% equals very few live-births even with icsi.
There is no treatment solution in Western medicine other than vitamins, which, on occasion, have been shown to improve DNA fragmentation to some degree.
Acupuncture and herbal medicine show remarkable improvement to sperm in general, and to significantly reducing sperm DNA fragmentation in particular.
We urge all men who are part of a couple trying-to-conceive to have, in addition to the "regular" semen analysis, a sperm DNA fragmentation assay as well.
Should you wish to explore acupuncture and herbal medicine remedies please feel free to call us at 212-685-0985 or visit us at https://www.berkleycenter.com/services/male-factor-infertility/
Wishing you great luck in your journey to family!
Mike Berkley, L.Ac./, FABORM